We are not currently taking applications.
Come join the Ashram community in the One Month Karma Yoga Program as a first step. Depending on your skill set and interests, we can discuss options for you staying longer and deepening your experience of community living as well as contributions in the Digital Media area.
Possibilities with a Digital Media Focus
The Yasodhara Ashram Digital Media Learning Residency is intended for individuals who want to broaden and deepen their creative and technical skills and the practice of Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga is the practice of selfless service, and is an essential part of life at Yasodhara Ashram.
Located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay, this full-time, three month Learning Residency provides hands-on experience of working in a team to support the digital media needs of the Ashram.
Depending on skills, interest and availability, the Digital Media Learning Resident will work in two or more of the following areas:
- Photography – Capture visually rich and engage photos of life at the Ashram – everything from the natural beauty of the grounds to daily activities and special events
- Web & Graphic Design – Create and edit images and graphics for web and print based on the Yasodhara Ashram brand
- Social Media – Create engaging content (text/photo/video) for Ashram’s social media channels (Facebook and Instagram)
- Writing – Write engaging articles for the Ashram newsletter and social media platforms
- Videography – Capture and edit video of Ashram events
- AV Support – Provide AV support at Ashram events (setting up projector, speakers, etc.)
- IT Support – Respond in a timely and professional manner to the support needs for computer hardware and software, email, printers, AV equipment, phone system, servers and network
In addition to some digital media experience, important qualities are an open mind, a positive disposition and interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
Students in marketing, communications, photography, design and related fields are encouraged to apply.
HELPFUL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A willingness to learn
- A curiosity and openness to explore living in a spiritual community
- A desire to bring care into all actions
- Ability to multitask, oversee both big picture and day to day tasks
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
DIGITAL MEDIA SPECIFIC SKILLS & ABILITIES
Depending on the focus of the residency, the Digital Media Learning Resident should have knowledge or experience of at least 4 of the following:
- Graphic design and or image editing skills. Experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator would be considered an asset.
- Experience writing and editing content for websites, emails and social media
- Experience updating and editing WordPress websites
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience with digital photography
- Knowledge of graphic design best practices and visual communication principles
- General audio and video editing skills. Experience with Final Cut Pro would be considered an asset.
- Understanding of social media platforms and best practices
- Experience developing engaging content for social media. Experience managing a Facebook Page or Instagram account would be considered an asset
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and working in a Mac-based environment
- Experience managing and maintaining WordPress websites (themes, plugins, etc.)
- Experience with OS X and iOS devices using Mac apps (eg. Calendar, Mail)
- Familiarity with working with Windows and OS X servers
- Familiarity with managing web servers hosting WordPress sites
- Experience with other apps we use would be considered an asset – AccountEdge, ResortSuite, Google for Non-Profits (Ad Words and Apps), Linux, Constant Contact
Interpersonal Leadership and Communication
- Ability to make work meaningful by encouraging an atmosphere for reflection and spiritual practice, embodying the spirit of Karma Yoga
- High level of personal motivation and self-management
- Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with Communications Manager and Communications Team and other areas of the Ashram
- An attitude of service, a positive disposition and an interest in living and learning within a spiritual community
Extending Your Stay – Pathways to Living and Serving in the Ashram Community
During your stay, we welcome you to consider whether you would benefit from an extended experience through our Pathways Program. Provided both parties agree it is a good fit, it is possible to become a Karma Yoga resident by extending in steps which might continue for 6 months, 1 year or 2+ years depending on your interests. This gives you the opportunity to expand your skills as you live and work alongside us a part of our community. You might become a team leader, eventually even become a teacher, and continue to gain experience that is transferable to work outside the Ashram. We will be happy to dismiss possibilities with you.