We are located in southeastern British Columbia, Canada, about midway between Vancouver and Calgary, north of the State of Idaho. Travel to the Ashram takes you through the scenic forests and mountains of the Kootenays – to beautiful Kootenay Lake where you will find us on the East Shore, near Kootenay Bay – west of Nelson, north of Creston.
We are eager to assist you to plan your journey to the Ashram. Please contact the Ashram (1.800.661.8711 or 001 250 227 9224 if you are outside North America; email@example.com) with any questions.
- 40 km northeast of Nelson by way of the Kootenay Lake ferry (see below)
- 80 km north of Creston
- 300 km north of Spokane, Washington. There is a border crossing at Porthill, ID. You will need a valid passport and depending on the length of your proposed stay, you may need a visa or letter (that we can supply).
You will find us just off Highway 3A, on the road to Riondel.
In the spirit of keeping a low carbon footprint, we encourage everybody who is traveling to the Ashram by car and has spare seats in their car to post a ride offer on the Kootenay Rideshare website and Poparide.
The nearest airports to the Ashram are Castlegar, Cranbrook and Kelowna. Because of our mountain location, we recommend different routes at different times of the year. Before making your travel arrangements, please contact us for further information.
From Vancouver or other western BC locations, bus service to Nelson is available:
- From Vancouver to Kelowna E-Bus
- From Kelowna to Nelson, Silver City Stagelines
- From Nelson to Balfour – #10 North Shore – has two stops in Nelson; at the corner of Ward Street and Baker Street. The other is at the Chahko Mika Mall, not far from The Save-On-Foods’. See bus schedule here.
- From Balfour to Kootenay Bay via the Kootenay Lake Ferry. We will meet you at the ferry. Please let us know which ferry you will be taking.
TAXI from Nelson
It is approximately 30 minutes to Balfour ferry landing. Glaicer Cab Company can be reached at 250-354-1111.
FERRY from Balfour to Kootenay Bay
We will meet foot passengers at the ferry. Please let us know which ferry you will be taking.